This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Here is a classic go-to dish that is very popular in my household. Huevo con Tomate (or Eggs and Tomato) is a recipe that my mom learned when we lived in Chile, and ever since she’s been making it for us when we don’t have much in the fridge or hasn’t had the chance to go grocery shopping yet. I love this dish so much I just had to learn how to make it myself – its super easy to make and you only need a few ingredients! There are lots of different versions to this dish too, you can make it however you want with whatever you have in your own fridge! But here’s just one version that I made a couple of weeks ago. (I’ll share other versions as I make them).
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2-3 cups spinach
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
- smoked paprika
- pinch ground cumin
- In a large saute pan pour a glug of sunflower or olive oil over med/high heat.
- Add onion and cook for a few minutes, until tender.
- Then add mushrooms, garlic and tomato.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked add the spinach and let it wilt down.
- Season with salt, pepper, oregano and a pinch of ground cumin.
- Lower heat to medium
- With the back of a wooden spoon spread the saute evenly on the pan.
- Gently crack each egg on top of the veggie saute and cover. Allow eggs to cook for a few minutes, keeping an eye on them.
- Once the egg whites are cooked, it’s done.
- Season top of eggs with a little more salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle some smoked paprika to top it all off.