There is nothing better than waking up on a beautiful Sunday morning and preparing a delicious breakfast for my family. My husband and I have started a new tradition and we’re calling it Sunday Morning Pancakes and Champagne. It has a nice ring to it, don’t you agree?
Lately I have been all about getting back in the kitchen and making the healthiest meals possible for my family. We’re definitely fans of the traditional pancakes and syrup, but I wanted to spice things up a bit with a homemade fruit compote– a delicious and healthy alternative topping for your morning cakes. Compote is a dessert originating from medieval Europe, made of whole or pieces of fruit in sugar syrup. Whole fruits are cooked in water with sugar and spices. You can serve it warm or cold!
My twist on the recipe does not include any added sugar… so all the sweetness comes naturally from the berries! Below I have listed the minimal ingredient list and directions on how you can make your very own fruit compote!
1. two or three cups of either fresh or frozen berries of your choice
2. ground cinnamon, to taste
1. add all ingredients to a small sauce pan and bring to a mild boil
2. bring down to a simmer for about 10 minutes
3. mix gently to avoid bursting berries
4. once done store in a mason jar without a lid and allow it to get down to room temp before topping pancakes or any dessert
5. store in fridge